Expatriate Immigration Procedures in Indonesia

Each expatriate who is intending to work in Indonesia is required to obtain a variety of permits from several government institutions, such as the ministry of manpower, Immigration, Police, and others. We have outlined the general application procedure below.

Ministry of manpower: Foreign Manpower Utilization Plan (RPTKA) and Indonesian Work Permit (Notification)

The first steps in the immigration procedure for expatriates is to obtain a Foregn Manpower Utilization Plan (Rencana Penggunaan Tenaga Kerja Asing, better known as RPTKA) and a work permit (Notification), which are both issued by the ministry of manpower. Generally RPTKA and Notification can be divided in three types:

  1. Emergency (1 month)
  2. Short term duration (2-6 months)
  3. Long term duration (7-12 months)

Immigration: Limited Stay Visa (VTT/VITAS), Residence Permit (ITAS/ITAP)

Limited Stay Visa (VTT/VITAS)

Before the expatriate who wish to work in Indonesia enters Indonesia, he/she must obtain a limited stay visa (Visa Tinggal Terbatas, better known as VTT or VITAS) at the embassy of Indonesia in the country he is residing. The company in Indonesia can apply for a VTT/VITAS via the website of the Indonesian Immigration. Once the application is processed the expatriate may pick up the limited stay visa at the embassy of Indonesia in the designated country abroad.

Online Reporting

After the expatriate has entered Indonesia based on the VTT/VITAS, he/she needs to report himself/herself through the online system of Immigration, before the manual submission of the Residence Permit (ITAS/ITAP). When the expatriate obtained a notification through the immigration website, the Residence Permit (ITAS/ITAP) application can be submitted manually in the local immigration office. This online reporting system is only applicable for when applications are performed at the Immigration Offices in West Jakarta, South Jakarta, Central Jakarta, East Jakarta, North Jakarta, Soekarno Hatta, Tangerang, Bogor, Depok, Karawang and Bekasi.

Residence Permit Types

A residence permit can be divided into two types of permits:

  1. a limited residence permit card (Izin Tinggal Terbatas, better known as ITAS), for a maximum period of two years
  2. permanent residence permit (Izin Tinggal Tetap, better known as ITAP), for a maximum period of five years. An expatriate can apply for a permanent residence permit (ITAP) after he/she fulfilled one of the following requirements: i) he/she has been working for a minimum of three years continuously in Indonesia with the same company; or 2) he/she has been married for a minimum of two years with an Indonesian (this only applies if the expatriate does not work in Indonesia).

Indonesian Police: Police Report Letter (STM)

After completion of the residence permit application at the Indonesian Immigration, the expatriate needs to report to the police in order to obtain a Police Report Letter (Surat Tanda Melapor, better known as STM). This reporting is required in order for the police to monitor the activity of the expatriate in Indonesia.

Department of Demography and Civil Registration: Temporary Residence Certificate (SKTT) and Civil Residence Registration Certificate (SKPPS)

The temporary residence certificate (Surat Keterangan Tempat Tinggal, better known as SKTT) and the civil residence registration certificate (Surat Keterengan Pendaftaran PendudukSementara, better known as SKPPS) are required for the expatriate in order to verify his/her address of residence in Indonesia.

Department of Labor: the Existence Report (L/K)

The monitoring of the expatriate in Indonesia by the local department of Labor is done by way of the mandatory Existence Report (L/K). The L/K is reported by the company hiring the expatriate to the department of labor in the place where the expatriate is working.

Frequently Asked Questions

The Foreign Manpower Utilization Plan, better known as RPTKA is the first permit issued by the Ministry of Manpower in the work permit process. Once the company hiring the expatriate obtained the RPTKA it can apply for a work permit at the Ministry of Manpower. For more information about the RPTKA, please explore our FAQ's below:

  1. What are the document requirements for RPTKA?

The Work Permit, better known as Notification will be issued by the Ministry of Manpower after the company hiring the expatriate obtained the RPTKA and showed proof of payment in the Compensation Fund for Using Foreign Workers (DKPTKA/DPKK). Once the company hiring the expatriate obtained the Notification, the expatriate can start working in Indonesia. For more information about the Notification, please explore our FAQ's below:

  1. What are the document requirements for Notification?

The Limited Residence Permit, or better known as "ITAS", is issued by the Indonesian immigration. A ITAS will be issued after the expatriate has obtained a work permit (Notification). The ITAS is a required permit for expatriates working in Indonesia.  For more information about the ITAS, please explore our FAQ's below:

  1. What are the document requirements for an ITAS?