Scroll Top

Work Permit & Stay Permit (ITAS)

Family permit child spouse ITAS Indonesia
Work permit and stay permit (ITAS) options in Indonesia

Foreigners who wish to work and stay in Indonesia can choose from various types of work permits and stay permits, depending on the type of job, qualifications, and preference. The work permit is issued by the Ministry of Manpower, and the stay permit is issued by Immigration. Besides these permits, several other permits needs to be arranged at local government offices.

PNB Immigration Law Firm assists clients not only with the application of these permits, but also advises on the best immigration strategy for each specific case.

Our immigration lawyers and consultants help companies assess their immigration needs and based on the needs of the clients devise the best immigration strategy.

Types of Work Permit and Stay Permit (ITAS)

There are different types of work permits available for foreigner who wish to work and stay in Indonesia. We have provided below an overview of the types of permits available for foreigners. The type of permit depends on the qualifications of the foreigner, type of sponsor company, type of activity and duration of the engagement of the foreigner in Indonesia.

Long Term Work and Stay Permit (ITAS) – 7 to 12 months

The perfect option for expats on a long term assignments in Indonesia which usually stretch over a period of multiple years. Typical job titles include directors, general managers, marketing managers, etc.

Short Term Work and Stay Permit (ITAS) – 2 to 6 months

The short term work and stay permit are often used for expats who need to work on short projects in Indonesia. Typical job titles for these types of permits are IT specialist, engineer, data analyst, etc.

Urgent Work and Stay Permit (ITAS) – 1 month

The urgent permits are normally used for projects which are completed within a month, such as machine repairs or maintenance jobs. The job titles are usually similar to those of the short term work and stay permits

Work and Stay Permit for Sports Events and Concerts

Sport events or concerts usually require to fly in a large number of foreign experts who will work in Indonesia at the event or convert for a short period of time. Typical job titles vary from engineers to sound and light technicians, to make-up artists

Stay Permit for Family Members (Spouse or Child)

Foreign family members of expats with a work permit or Indonesian spouses can stay in Indonesia using a spouse stay permit (ITAS). Under this type of permit they are not allowed to work in Indonesia. 

Investor Stay Permit (Investor ITAS) for Shareholders

Foreigners who are shareholder in a local limited liability company (PT PMA) can under certain conditions apply for an investor stay permit (ITAS). With an investor ITAS, the requirement to obtain a work permit is waived.

General Procedure Work Permit and Stay Permit

For a work and stay permit of a foreigner generally the following licenses and reports need to be arranged:

  • RPTKA (Foreign Worker Placement Plan): The first permit the company should apply for is the foreign worker placement plan (also known as RPTKA). The RPTKA is a corporate license which specifies the number of foreign workers in a company and the job titles available for them. It also specifies the duration of the assignment.
  • Notification (work permit): After the RPTKA is issued by the Ministry of Manpower, the company will need to apply for the notification, which can be regarded as the work permit for each individual foreigner working at the company. The Notification specifies the foreigner’s name, job title, work location and validity period.
  • eVisa (electronic visa): Once the work permit is obtained from the ministry of manpower, the company can apply for the eVisa at the DGI. The DGI issues the eVisa in PDF format. Foreigners will need to bring a printed copy of the eVisa when traveling to Indonesia. Foreigners are no longer required to collect a visa sticker at the Indonesian embassy abroad. The eVisa is valid for a period of 90 days since the date of issuance. Foreigners must enter Indonesia before the expiry date of the visa. 
  • ITAS (Stay Permit) and MERP (Re-entry Permit): Upon arrival in Indonesia, the foreigner will receive its stay permit (ITAS) and re-entry permit (MERP) at the immigration checkpoint at the airport. After the biometrics have been collected by the immigration officers, the permit will be placed in the passports of the foreigners in the form of a sticker.
  • e-ITAS (electronic stay permit): A few days after the foreigner has received the stay and re-entry permit sticker in its passport, the local immigration office will issue the eITAS, in PDF format. We advise foreign workers to bring a copy of this document with them at all times.
  • Police Report (STM) from the local police office.
  • Certificate of Temporary Residence (SKTTS) from the civil registration office.
  • Existence Report (L/K) from the local manpower office

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: We wish to send staff to Indonesia, however we don’t have a company in Indonesia. What are my options? 

A foreigner who wants to work in Indonesia must be sponsored by an Indonesian company. In case the foreign company does not have an entity in Indonesia, the foreigner can be sponsored through a third party Indonesian company. It is important that there is a clear connection between the place of working of the foreigner and the sponsoring entity. This is usually done by a set of agreements and statement letters.

Q: For a project we need to send a large number of foreign workers to Indonesia. Our local company has only a few Indonesian employees. Will this cause a problem?

This is not a major problem as long as the company applies for short term work and stay permits. For these types of permits the Ministry of Manpower does not require a ration foreign workers to local workers, and will therefore easier approve short term work permit applications.

Q: Our foreign worker will work on several sites in Indonesia. Will this cause any risk?

In case a foreigner is working on multiple locations, there are a few actions which need to be undertaken:

  • The working locations must be stated in the work permit of the foreign worker;
  • The foreigner likely will require a travel permit to visit the sites; and
  • The company may need to report the arrival of the foreign worker to the local police, manpower and immigration authorities