Scroll Top

Stay Permit for Family Members: Spouse or Children

Family permit child spouse ITAS Indonesia
Stay Permit for Family Members: Child or Spouse ITAS

The dependent stay permit (ITAS) allows foreign family members to reside in Indonesia. This type of stay permit (ITAS) can be applied for in two situations:

  • The foreign family members are accompanying their family member who is (or will start) working in Indonesia using an expatriate work permit and stay permit (ITAS); or
  • The foreign family members will move to Indonesia and will be sponsored by their family member who is an Indonesian national.

In both cases the foreign family members are not allowed to work in Indonesia. In case a family member has found a job in Indonesia, the dependent permit must be cancelled and the family member must apply for a work permit and stay permit which are sponsored by the Indonesian company. There are basically three types of work permits available for foreign workers in Indonesia: a one-month work permitshort term work permit or long term work permit.

Dependent permits for foreign family members can be sponsored by a foreign ITAS holder or Indonesian family member

Which family members can apply for a Family stay permit (ITAS)

Eligible family members

Indonesia has a conservative approach as to who are considered family members. The following family members are eligible for a dependent permit (ITAS):

  • an opposite sex spouse (husband/wife), which is proven by a certificate of marriage; and
  • unmarried children under 18 years of age.
Non-eligible family members

The following family members are not recognized in Indonesia, and are therefore not eligible for a dependent permit (ITAS):

  • Same-sex marriages: Indonesian immigration regulations do not generally recognize same-sex married spouses or partners as ‘dependents’. Such partners will have to seek the right to enter and stay in Indonesia in their individual capacity.
  • Permanent unions, domestic or civil partnershipsIndonesian immigration regulations do not recognize partnerships or unions between family members. As such, the Indonesian Immigration will not grant a dependent permit to family members who are bonded based on union or partnership.

For short-term stays in Indonesia without work authorization, unmarried partners and same-sex spouses may apply for a Visitor Visa (unless they are visa-exempt or eligible for a visa on arrival). The entity sponsoring the employed partner must present a sponsor letter when the Visitor Visa application is submitted to the relevant authorities. There are limits to the length of time allowed in the country based on the type of Visitor Visa issued.

Application procedure

The application procedure for the dependent stay permit (ITAS) consists out of two main steps as set out below. A detailed description of the permits and reports in each stage we have discussed in our general overview of work permit and stay permit

Step 1. Stay Permit from Immigration

Since family members do not work in Indonesia they do not require any authorization from the ministry of manpower. Their application focuses on obtaining the stay permit and in-country permits from local authorities. The stay permit (ITAS) application is processed by the Directorate General of Immigration (DGI), the foreign Indonesian Embassy and the local immigration office. The following visas and permits need to be obtained:

  • eVisa (Electronic Visa). The DGI will issue the eVisa for each family member. This eVisa allows them entry into Indonesia and to apply for a stay permit once they are inside Indonesia. The eVisa is valid for 90 days from the issuance date. 
  • ITAS (Stay Permit) and MERP (Re-entry Permit). After the family members have arrived in Indonesia, they must report themselves to the local immigration office within a period 30 days as of the date of arrival. The immigration officials will collect biometric data (fingerprints, photo and signature), after which the eITAS and MERP are issued.

Step 2: Permits issued by local authorities

After the eITAS is issued, the following documents will need to be arranged:

  • Police Report (STM) from the local police office.
  • Certificate of Temporary Residence (SKTTS) from the civil registration office.